Torta di riso is a delicious savoury torta or flat pie made with rice and cheese. This version from Lunigiana makes a delicious appetiser.
The recipe is from the book, Piatti Chiari, by Tiziana Falorni, the owner of Alla Piazza di Sopra in Filleto, and is the tenth in our series of recipes. If you’d like a copy of the recipe book, it is available directly from the restaurant and in bookshops in Lunigiana. You can also buy it online at Amazon.it and other online booksellers in Italy.
My thanks to talented chef, Laura Razzoli, Tiziana’s daughter, for talking me through the recipe and providing the photos.
Torta di Riso
Ingredients500g rice (any type but excellent with risotto rice) 3 eggs small jug of milk 50g melted butter 100g grated Parmesan cheese 50g grated pecorino cheese salt & pepper
- Mix the egg with the cheese, butter, and salt and pepper to taste
- Add the milk until you have a mixture that is neither too wet nor too dry
- Boil the rice until it is al dente. Don’t overcook it as it will continue to cook in the oven
- Add the drained rice to the egg mixture and mix well
- Spoon into a flat, greased dish
- Bake in the the oven at 180 degrees centigrade for around 35 minutes or until the top is golden.
Open Tuesday to Sundays for lunch and dinner.
Torta di Riso di Lunigiana appeared on Ciao Lunigiana on 17 August 2014.