What could be nicer on a hot day than a semifreddo dessert, a type of semi-frozen mousse. This recipe for Semifreddo Bianco al Croccante is from the excellent cookbook, Piatti Chiari, by Tiziana Falorni, who runs the restaurant, Alla Piazza di Sopra in Filleto, together with her talented daughters Chiara and Laura. If you’d like a copy of the recipe book, it is available directly from the restaurant and in bookshops in Lunigiana. You can also buy it online at Amazon.it and other online booksellers in Italy.
Semifreddo Bianco al Croccante
500g whipping cream
4 tablespoons sugar
70g of dried fruits and nuts to taste (e.g.hazelnuts, pistachios)
250g grated dark chocolate
First prepare the brittle:
- Chop the dried fruit and nuts
- Add to the sugar and heat in a pan until it caramalises
- Thinly spread the mixture on a sheet of baking paper
- When cool, chop coarsely.
Next prepare the semifreddo:
- Separate the eggs
- Whip the egg whites in a bowl until they are stiff
- In a separate bowl, hand whip the egg yolks with the sugar
- In a chilled bowl, whip the cream until stiff
- Using a wooden spoon, gently combine the egg yolk and sugar mixture with the cream, followed by the egg whites. The result should be light and fluffy.
- Add a handful of the chopped brittle
- Using a tin lined with baking paper or other appropriate mould, add the remaining brittle at the bottom and then pour in the semifreddo mixture. Cover with clingfilm and leave in the freezer for a few hours.
Finally prepare the chocolate sauce, which can also be used to line the mould before the brittle is added
- Place the cream and butter in a saucepan and slowly heat
- When the mixture is on the point of boiling, remove from the heat
- Add the grated chocolate, and stir with a whisk until the chocolate is completely dissolved
- Cool the mixture
- Remove from the mould and slice if appropriate
- Serve with a little chocolate sauce, hot or cold as preferred.
Ristorante Alla Piazza di Sopra
Piazza Immacolata 11
Filetto, Villafranca in Lunigiana, MS
Telephone 0187 493796/Cell 349 8783364
Open Tuesday to Sundays for lunch and dinner. Open Monday in the summer.
Semifreddo Bianco al Croccante appeared on Ciao Lunigiana on 20 June 2015.