It is the time of year when, in the supermarkets, it is impossible to avoid the mountains of panettone, the traditional Italian Christmas cake. But instead of settling for the industrial version, why not make your own. Ignore discussions of complicated baking techniques and try Laura’s straightforward recipe.
The recipe can be found in the book, Piatti Chiari, by Tiziana Falorni, the owner of Alla Piazza di Sopra in Filleto. If you’d like a copy of the recipe book, it is available directly from the restaurant and in bookshops in Lunigiana. You can also buy it online at Amazon.it and other online booksellers in Italy
My thanks to talented pastry chef, Laura Razzoli, Tiziana’s daughter, for guiding me through the recipe and providing the photos.
Panettone di Laura
Ingredients300g white flour 100g butter 80g sugar 80g sultanas 4 eggs pinch of salt 12g bicarbonate of soda 20g dried yeast 80g grated lemon rind 200ml milk
- Mix the butter and the eggs together
- Slowly add small amounts of flour and milk to the mixture, mixing well each time
- Add the sugar, bicarbonate of soda, yeast, lemon zest and salt
- Knead the mixture for 30 minutes until the dough is smooth and soft
- Add the sultanas and knead until they are incorporated
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with a piece of clingfilm and leave to rest until it has doubled in volume
- Tip the dough out on the work surface and gently stretch until it is slightly oblong
- Place in a buttered panettone case (available in baking shops and online)
- Cover with a piece of cling film to protect from draughts and leave to rest until the dough has risen to the top of the panetonne case
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade and place a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven
- Put the panettone in the oven and after five minutes, with a sharp knife score the top of the panettone with a cross
- After a further ten minutes, lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees and bake for about 45 minutes.
Ristorante Alla Piazza di SopraPiazza Immacolata 11 Filetto, Villafranca in Lunigiana, MS Telephone 0187 493796/Cell 349 8783364 Email email@example.com Website: www.allapiazzadisopra.com
Open Tuesday to Sundays for lunch and dinner.
Panettone di Laura appeared on Ciao Lunigiana on 14 December 2014.