Baccalà or salted codfish is prepared all over Italy. It is a versatile fish and recipes abound. This recipe from Lunigiana is from our favourite restaurant in Filetto, Alla Piazza di Sopra, and uses soaked baccalà, which should be available from your local fish shop.
If you can’t find rehydrated salted codfish, you can soak the dried variety yourself. Wash off the salt and soak the dried baccalà in cold water, changing the water two or three times in a 24-hour period. The amount of time needed for soaking depends on the thickness of of the fish. It can take anything from 12 to 36 hours. The fish is ready for use when it no longer tastes salty. Keep refrigerated in hot weather.
This recipe for baccalà marinato is from the book, Piatti Chiari, by Tiziana Falorni, the owner of Alla Piazza di Sopra in Filleto, and is the fifth in our series of recipes. If you’d like a copy of the recipe book, it is available directly from the restaurant and in bookshops in Lunigiana. You can also buy it online at Amazon.it and other online booksellers in Italy.
My thanks, as always, to Laura Razzoli, Tiziana’s daughter, for the photos and for talking this straniera through the method.
Ingredients600g soaked baccalà, cut into large pieces half a tube of tomato paste
200g passata/chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
5 cloves garlic
flour for coating
100g apple cider vinegar
olive oil for frying
salt and chilli flakes to taste
- Coat the soaked baccalà with flour on both side
- Lightly fry the fish in olive oil until cooked, remove and drain on absorbent kitchen paper
- Roughly chop the rosemary and chilli flakes, and sauté in olive oil in a clean pan
- Add the tomato paste and passata, followed by the apple cider vinegar
- Add salt to taste
- Reduce the sauce by simmering over a low heat
- Transfer the baccalà to a terrine and cover with the sauce
- Leave to marinate for at least 24 hours
- Baccalà marinato is normally served at room temperature, but can also be served warm.
Serve with a Vermentino Colli di Lun DOC – Il MonticelloRistorante Alla Piazza di Sopra Piazza Immacolata 11 Filetto, Villafranca in Lunigiana, MS Telephone 0187 493796/Cell 349 8783364 Email email@example.com Website: www.allapiazzadisopra.com
Open Tuesday to Sunday for lunch and dinner.